Alexander C. Wendling, MDRequest an Appointment
Dr. Wendling is a fellowship-trained adult hip and knee replacement surgeon. He specializes in superior total hip replacement, robotic partial and total knee replacement, and same-day joint replacement surgery. He also offers nonoperative treatment for a variety of hip and knee conditions.
Dr. Wendling grew up in Lyndon, Kansas, a small town 30 miles south of Topeka. He completed his undergraduate studies at St. Olaf College in Minnesota, where he majored in chemistry and played football. He spent several summers conducting research at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland.
He went to medical school at the University of Kansas School of Medicine in Kansas City. While there he gained awards for his research, including the Russel Haden Award for the best research project within the medical school. He completed his orthopaedic surgery residency at the University of Kansas in Wichita. He received several grants for his research and presented at several national and regional meetings. Upon graduation, he sought out advanced fellowship training in hip and knee reconstruction at the Hedley Adult Reconstruction Fellowship in Phoenix, Arizona. This opportunity afforded him extensive surgical experience in direct superior total hip replacement, robotic surgery, partial and total knee replacement, and complex hip and knee revision surgery.
Dr Wendling is committed to providing excellent patient care. He enjoys learning about his patients and helping them restore their quality of life. Dr. Wendling lives in Columbia with his wife Natalie, their two boys, and his brother-in-law Trevor, who has autism.
Outside the operating room, he enjoys watching sports – particularly college, spending time with family, reading, and working on his lawn.
Hedley Orthopedic Institute of the West, Phoenix, AZ
Adult Reconstruction Fellowship, Graduated 2023
University of Kansas School of Medicine, Wichita, KS
Orthopedic Surgery Residency, Graduated 2022
University of Kansas School of Medicine, Kansas City, KS
Doctor of Medicine, 2017
St. Olaf College, Northfield, MN
Bachelor of Arts in Chemistry, 2012
Magna Cum Laude
1. Lancaster BL, Wending AC, Zackula R, Poppe T, Pappademos P. Comparative Analysis of Topical Versus Intravenous Administration of Epsilon-Aminocaproic Acid on Blood Management in Total Knee Arthroplasty. Submitted for publication 2021.
2. Wendling AC, White J, Cooper B, Corrigan CM, Dart BR. Cut Cortical Screw Purchase in Diaphyseal Bone: A Biomechanical Study. Submitted for publication, 2021.
3. Vopat ML; Wendling AC; Lee B; Hassan M; Morris B; Tarakemeh A; Zackula R; Mullen S; Schroeppel JP; Vopat BG. Early Versus Delayed Mobilization Post-Operative Protocols for Primary Lateral Ankle Ligament Reconstruction: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Kans J Med. 2021;14:141-148. Published 2021 Jun 21.
4. Wendling A, Vopat M, Patel O, Wool N, Davis N, Dart B. Enhancing Splinting Confidence through Inter-Residency Education: An Educational Workshop. Kans J Med. 2020;13:29-37. Published 2020 Feb 28.
5. Wendling A, Vopat ML, Yang SY, Saunders B. Near-simultaneous bilateral reverse total shoulder arthroplasty for the treatment of bilateral fracture dislocations of the shoulder. BMJ Case Rep. 2019;12(10):e230212. Published 2019 Oct 22.
6. Wendling AC, Mar DE, Burkes JC, McIff TE. Effect of Ultrasound Frequency and Treatment Duration on Antibiotic Elution from Polymethylmethacrylate Bone Cement. Kans J Med. 2019;12(2):45-49.
7. Wendling A., Mar D., Wischmeier N., Anderson D., McIff T. Combination of Modified Mixing Technique and Low Frequency Ultrasound to Control the Elution Profile