Columbia Orthopaedic Group offers comprehensive weight management programs for patients needing to lose weight with medical assistance. Program director, Andrew James APRN-BC, provides personalized care for nutrition and weight loss management. Through education, nutrition, physical activity, lifestyle changes and custom treatment protocols patients are medically assisted through each step of their weight loss journey. Patients can use insurance for office visits, lab work, EKG and DEXA testing.
Causes of weight gain can vary from lifestyle habits, injuries and conditions like osteoporosis limiting mobility, and hormonal changes within the body. We take those factors into account and individualize the plan to match your specific needs. Many of our patients are preparing for their orthopedic surgery after weight loss.Weight management programs can help:
- Prepare for surgery
- Avoid the need for surgery altogether
- Reduce and prevent disease
- Provide better mobility and reduce pain
- Improve mental health
- Increase life expectancy
Our orthopaedic physicians often refer patients to the weight management program to prepare for their surgery. If a patient's BMI (body mass index) is too high, physicians will delay the procedure until the patient is able to lower their BMI to a healthy range for surgery. This prevents complications, shortens recovery times, and improves the efficacy and long-term success of the surgery.
About Our Programs
Your plan will be customized for your individual needs and is made up of a multi-modal approach to improve all aspects of your health. You can expect a range of guided lifestyle changes including diet, physical activity, and behavioral modifications.
What We Provide
Here are some of the offerings your plan will include to make this process successful and seamlessly incorporated into your routine:
- Nutrition and lifestyle coaching for adult weight management
- Comprehensive one-on-one consultations and follow-up(s)
- Medications to support weight loss as an aid to lifestyle modifications
- Management of nutritional deficiencies and supplementation
- Counseling and education to facilitate lifestyle changes that reinforce long term metabolic and weight health and promote healthy habits
Our facility also offers a full range of state-of-the-art resources that allow us to deliver accurate diagnostic services and successful treatments, including:
- Body composition analysis
- Estimation of metabolic rate
- Lab testing to assess metabolic health and nutritional deficiencies
- Follow-up testing and labs to track progress
Your Initial Appointment
Your initial office visit will consist of a comprehensive analysis of your current lifestyle and physical assessment. We will comprise a plan with measurable goals and attainable modifications. You should expect anywhere from 1.5 to 2 hours for new patient appointments and 30 minutes for follow-up visits.
What to expect during your first visit (1.5-2 hours):
- You may be asked to complete questionnaires designed to help guide the providers toward your value-based goals.
- We will complete an analysis of your body composition with a bioelectrical impedance scale and measurement of your waist circumference.
- We will assess vital signs and review your health history, including current and past medications.
- We will complete a nutritional assessment as well as offer nutritional counseling.
Please bring the following items to your appointment:
- Completed paperwork, if received prior to the appointment
- Current medical and prescription insurance card
- Current medications or a complete list of medicines with doses, including all over-the-counter medications, herbs, and vitamins
What activities have you been forced to give up?
What current medical conditions can be avoided by improving weight management?
How much could be saved annually in medical expenses?
What if you could avoid the cost and physical stress of needing surgery?
Patients have avoided spending thousands on unnecessary surgery when their weight & health improved.
How much is spent on food and eating out?
Patients following our diet programs save money from eating out and buying additional groceries.
What are the costs of medications to manage related health conditions?
Weight loss can result in decreasing or stopping costly medications for blood pressure, diabetes, GERD, etc.
How many functional life years could you get back by achieving a more healthy weight?
We know how challenging it can be to manage your health, which is why we help you through each step of this process. No more guesswork, fad diets, or weight loss "secrets"- here you will get real results from a team of people helping you through your weight loss journey. We create an opportunity to make positive changes that have a long-term impact. The goal of our weight management program is to provide patients with tools to improve their overall health and wellness for life.
Meet Andrew James, APRN-BC, your bone health and nutrition management expert.
Here are some frequently asked questions:
How is progress tracked?
All diets and medically managed with labs and testing
Can I use insurance?
Yes, insurance covers office visits, labs, EKG and DEXA (every 2 years)
Do you need a referral first before starting the program?
No, you can join our program without a referring physician. Anyone is welcome and encouraged to begin their health journey.
Do you have to use our specific products?
No, we can tailor the nutrition portion to suit your needs. However, we recommend using our products since they are FDA regulated and vetted by professional dietitians.
Where do I start?
You can request an appointment here and begin your weight loss journey.